Dan Stanford is the founding member of Standford And Associates with over 4 decades of jury trial experience. Dan is a nationally-recognized expert in the prosecution of legal malpractice, and his practice is strictly limited to the representation of clients (plaintiffs) in such cases. He was one of the original California Certified Specialists in legal malpractice law, and Dan previously served as a Commissioner on the CA State Bar Board of Legal Specialization.
However, Dan was trained during the first 16 years of his career on the defense side, first as a Partner at Luce, Forward, Hamilton & Scripps, then as a Partner at Pillsbury, Madison & Sutro. Dan graduated from law school in 1975 from the USC Law Center, and after graduation, served for two years as the law clerk to the Hon. Malcolm M. Lucas (Former Chief Justice of the California Supreme Court).
Dan has been consistently profiled in Southern California Super Lawyers, selected as one of the Best Lawyers in America, named by California Lawyer as one of the leading plaintiff’s legal malpractice attorneys in California, recognized in San Diego Magazine as the top legal malpractice firm in San Diego, and honored as one of the Top 25 Lawyers in San Diego. For three decades he has received the highest possible ranking of “AV Preeminent” from Martindale Hubbell. He regularly lectures and publishes on the subject of legal malpractice, has appeared on radio and television programs, and has been profiled or quoted in numerous newspapers and magazines, including Newsweek, Reader’s Digest, U.S.A. Today, San Diego Magazine, and the California Lawyer.
Organizations & Memberships
Mr. Stanford is a member of the California Bar Association and Federal Bar Association. Formerly, Mr. Stanford was the Commissioner for the California State Bar Board of Legal Specialization as well as A member of the Board of Directors for the Chula Vista Police Foundation. Additionally, Mr. Stanford is a member of the California Lawyers Association, Consumer Attorneys of San Diego, and The San Diego County Bar Association.
- Graduate Degree: University of Southern California School of Law
- J.D., June 1975
- Upper 10-15% class rank
- Member of the Southern California Law Review
- Undergraduate Degree: United States International University, California Western Campus, San Diego
- Graduated Cum Laude as a double major in Business Administration and Sociology
Honors & Achievements
- Best Lawyers in America in the area of Legal Malpractice since 2012
- Featured in San Diego Magazine as one of San Diego’s Top Lawyers 2020
- Martindale-Hubbell’s list of local lawyers who have reached the highest levels of ethical standards and professional excellence.
- Top Plaintiff’s Legal Malpractice Attorney in State of CA, 2002
- Super Lawyers’ Top 100 Lawyers in California since 2007
- Featured among the Best Lawyers in America since 2012
- Top 25 Lawyers in San Diego since 2012
- Recognized as The Outstanding Trial Lawyer by the Consumer Attorneys of San Diego, 2017
- Marquis Who’s Who Top Lawyer 2020